All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 am 

Name:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question really. I am just in the process of tidying up the car (I am a bit of a perfectionist) and there are a couple of things that I would to change, but they will involve damaging the powder coated surface.

So my question is do you know of anyway to repair the powder coated surface?

I have been looking at the Electro Static magic website (I have one of their DIY kits) and they seem to suggest it should be possible to heat up the affected area to approx 100 degrees then re-coat. So I am after a few other opinions on this before I decide to go beyond the point of no return!

The main thing that worries me is that as the chassis was done professionally are different powders used which have different characteristics?

Thoughts welcome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 am 

Name:
Powder coat basicly becomes plastic when it's heat cured and steel conducts heat really well so as you heat the area with say a blow torch you'll either melt the surrounding powder coat making it look really manky or set it alight which will cause the same effect. This is why I don't advise any body to get the chassis powder coated as it's difficult to repair and make it look good. Another point against it is that when the rust gets under the surface through stone chips or where you've drilled through it the powder coat will peel off in 25mm box shapes. The best place to use powder coat is on school and office furniture as it durable and kept warm all it's life, ever wondered why there is no powder coated parts on productions cars.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 am 

Name:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. As I bought the car in an almost finished state the choice of powder coating or not wasn't and option for me (and I agree with your assessment).

If I go down this route I would be looking to use a paint stripping gun to slowly heat up the area (without burning) and I thought that it was possible to heat the powder coating to the point that it was soft but not damaged and hence if you are quick to "re-coat" the area whilst the existing area is soft then when it cures it would become one continuous coating.

I could of course just be thinking wishfully, but am interested if anyone has any experience of this?

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 am 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Phil's made some good points. From my understanding of it the only way you'd get a decent repair would be to gently bring the chassis up to a temperature (would need an oven really) where the existing powder coat begins to soften, then maybe use a heat gun on the patch area before and maybe after coating. From everything I've read the critical bit is to get enough heat in the metal first otherwise you get bad adhesion, but as Phil said too much heat will ruin the existing.

If the patch areas are fairly discrete it might be worth looking at paint options or at least experimenting with patching a coated piece of scrap. It might also be worth a call to the powder coaters to see what they suggest.

Is the kit any good? I've been looking at them for some time.

Oops took a call half way through writing this and just seen you replied :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm 

Name:
I think the kit is quite good. Would only recommend it for smaller stuff and I made an oven for it too.

Takes a bit of practice to get the technique right and knowing how much powder to apply, but I have generally been quite please with the pieces I have done.

You'd be welcome to borrow it if you wanted to give it a go

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Thanks for the offer Jon, much appreciated, I'm not ready to coat anything just yet but will give you a shout when I am :D :D

Let us know how you get on with the patching.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 am 

Name:
I will do, I am going to test it on a scrap piece first I think.

Need to wait for much warmer weather as I haven't got a garage :( and I don't fancy working outside at the moment

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 pm 

Name:
I have done a few parts with the electrostatic magic kit and 95% have come out great the only one item im not happy with and am looking to re-do is my rocker cover and that problem was down to my in-experience and not the product. When I was applying the powder I didn't realise that it was pooling up on the top flat surface and instead of shaking off the excess I just put it in the oven and it pooled in great big globy bit. so now I getting ready to grind off the bad its place it upside down so that the area to be treated is on the bottom and then try it again. Watch this space for the finished results.

Arfon