All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:28 pm 

Name:
Just thought I would share my experiences of going down this route just incase it is useful to others.

After speaking a bit with Nathan, I have been sorely tempted by going down the forced induction route with the Mazda 1.8 engine. After doing quite a bit of reading of the MX5 forums there are two routes:

1. Turbo
2. Supercharger

Personally I have opted for the supercharger as although it will not ultimately be as powerful as a turbo'd car, it will be more drive able from what I have read.

Anyway, apart from the actual supercharger install, the other main issue is engine management and injection.

I opted to go with Mega squirt and I found a resident expert on the mx5nutz forum. Upshot is that I purchased a new, fully built PNP unit for £350 delivered. I have been told it will plug into the existing loom and just run. It also has an auto tune ability that will allow it to self tune as long as I install a wide band O2 sensor too. Which will allow me to install it prior to the IVA ready for a supercharger afterwards.

As soon as I get it I will let you know how it goes .....

If you are thinking of going down a similar route I would recommend looking at the people on the engine makers forums as if this works it will be about £200 cheaper than anything else I have found and way less hassle!

All I can say is ....... Watch this space :D

Post subject: Sounds cool
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Moderator

Name:
It would be great if you could let us know how you get on. 8-) :)

Was actually on the MegaSquirt website over the Christmas period & have noticed that they are doing a large range of Plug N Play systems.
Good value for money too. :)

Ronnie :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 pm 

Name:
Yes, they have a lot of options, some of which can be confusing (MS1, MS2, MS3, all the different versions with these, plus optional extras !)

Basic boards are about £200 and you need to build it yourself.

I figured for another £150 it was worth getting a professionally built one, which was tested, didn't require me to butcher the loom and would by default have everything I ever wanted on it.

Hopefully it turns out to be everything I expect it to be :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm 

Name:
Quote:
Yes, they have a lot of options, some of which can be confusing (MS1, MS2, MS3, all the different versions with these, plus optional extras !)

Basic boards are about £200 and you need to build it yourself.

I figured for another £150 it was worth getting a professionally built one, which was tested, didn't require me to butcher the loom and would by default have everything I ever wanted on it.

Hopefully it turns out to be everything I expect it to be :?
There is a guy selling megasquiff gear on the bay of thieves, his phone number is on the add and its worth a 2 bob phone call to him because in five minutes he will A. bore you shitless. B. tell you all you need to know about your application. C. let you know what you have to get from elswhere. D costings.

Bob :D