All times are UTC

Post subject: Powder Coating Gun
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:40 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
I'm planning on buying a powder coat gun but am undecided on which one to get so looking for opinions if anyone has any of the ones listed below (or others). My first choice would have been the Redline EZ100/EZ50 running adjustable voltages of up 100kV and 50kV and prohibitively priced at £860 and £500 respectively :shock: available in the uk from Caswell Europe. They do seem to get excellent reviews though and I considered importing for slightly cheaper but would probably get hammered with import fees etc. So these are unfortunately off the list.

After that its a choice between these two:

Eastwood dual voltage gun 15kV / 25kV £177 from Frosts.
Lower powered than the Redline's but the reviews I can find say it works fine both with multi coat and Faraday areas. That's it really - I cant find any detailed reviews that show god/bad points, just pictures of items that have been done - no mention of how many test pieces were needed to dial it in. A definite plus is that frosts' answer the phone and I got put straight through to someone technical who was happy to chat about it and offer obligatory assertion that its better than its competitors etc lol so good to know there is telephone support available in the event of problems. Frosts only do solid colours in their powder range but do seem to have more accessories.

Electrostaticmagic from £158 from themselves.
First impressions about Electrostaticmagic were not good, it took a week of trying to get someone to answer the phone and the lady that eventually did wasn't technical so couldn't really answer any technical questions but proceeded to peddle the mandatory sales pitch that their gun was the best in class blah blah. I did also read somewhere that they only do email support so that's a negative point.

What the lady did say was that they changed from the traditional system to their current Easycoat system about two years ago. Although using traditional powders' this system does not use an electrical supply to charge the powder but is somehow charged through using a slightly higher air pressure - 25psi as opposed to 5 - 10psi. The lady couldn't really explain exactly how it worked but claimed a much higher level of hardware reliability and also gave merit to this systems ability to coat non conductive items such as wood/glass and its ability to easily do 4/5 stage multi coat jobs and and not suffer from Faraday effect as being major benefits over its electrical based competitors. A definite plus is that Electrostaticmagic do have an extensive range of colours to choose from.

I'm drawn to the Eastwood due to it being the highest powered DIY priced system easily available and also their technical support/accessories but am also intrigued by Electrstaticmagic's system and their claims and have probably seen more publicity regarding the Electrostaticmagic. Both use standard powders and so no restrictions there. I'l be looking at doing a range of items with the possibility of doing some candy colours which could be a three coat process.

So who's got one?

Post subject: Re: Powder Coating Gun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:48 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Dave
These are the ones am looking at doing on a group buy

any good to you

Attachments:
Powder_Coating_Machine_PC03.jpg_200x200.jpeg
Powder_Coating_Machine_PC03.jpg_200x200.jpeg [ 3.46 KiB | Viewed 1726 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:37 pm 
Site Moderator

Any idea of cost Dave? They seem to run at the same power as the eastwood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:20 am 
Site Moderator

Last time I looked they were about 50 quid delivered to me so would be about another 10 quid postage on to people will know more if they ever bother to email me back emailed them 2weeks ago nothing back emailed them a week ago they asked how many I want emailed the reply nothing back the bastards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:07 pm 
Site Moderator

I'd be up for it at if the costs are there or thereabouts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:48 pm 
Site Moderator

New toy came today :D
Attachment:
IMG_2462 (816 x 612).jpg
IMG_2462 (816 x 612).jpg [ 106.2 KiB | Viewed 1582 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:15 pm 
Site Moderator

Post my hubs to you then lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:27 am 

Name: richard
looking forward to seeing tour results with this, i take it you are using an old electric oven to cure the stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:14 pm 
Site Moderator

I kept my old kitchen cooker when I upgraded, hopefully will have a little play over the weekend and will put pics up. Yes Dave give me a little while so I can get consistent results and send them down :)