All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 pm 

Name:
I could do with a large trailer to recover 4x4's and transit size vans but that comes with two problems. First I have very little storage space this despite being on a farm where there appears to be lots of it and second I would be pushing my luck on the weight front (no Bob). Any how I've been thinking of making a heavy duty braked towing dolly to get around this problem and thought about making a lighter one that flat packs in to sections, this would be owned by the forum members for collecting donors or taking builds to pre IVA MOTs and IVA. This could be sent to those in need of it via a courier with clear instructions of how to reassemble and use.
So good idea or waste of time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 pm 

Name:
Great idea Phil, how much do you think the shipping would cost !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should work great for the little isle !!!

Cheers
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Phil, I definitely think its worth investigating like the courier cost etc,

If its braked does that get away from the restriction of only using a dolly for emergencies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 pm 

Name:
A dolly would be ok for a roadster as long as the car and contraption come in at under 750 kg. After that it needs brakes. Building one for a fourwheel drive may cause a problem with landrover/rangerovers because they are permanent 4wd. As soon as you pull off its front wheels will be turning via the transfer gears, cant be taken out of drive either so it would have to be props off. I cant remember the numbers but I think you can only tow 60 or 80% of the tow barges gross weight if you have a 2wd. A land rover is allowed to tow 100% of its weight (4 tons) but for that it needs couple brakes and a tacho. Towing law is a nightmare, the upside is if you keep off the motorways the local plod know sod all about any of it :lol: . Venture onto the motorway with a dolly and motorway plod will pull your pants down and insert the rough end of the legal pineapple. :shock: A trailer is a good idea they make hire money all the time and stay the right side of plod.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:40 am 

Name:
Hi all,

I have looked loads into towing law and from my understanding a towing dolly is only any use if you are moving a vehicle that is legally allowed on the road already. So if you have a pre IVA roadster or a donor that is not taxed, mot'd and insured then you would be on the wrong side of the law. The only way to move a non road legal vehicle is to have no part of it touching the road.

With respect to trailers this depends on when you got your licence.

Pre 97 you have B+E as standard which means you can tow a trailer and vehicle combination up to 7.5 ton as long as the towing vehicle is capable of towing the weight and the trailer is braked (on all wheels). Trailers below 750 Kg can be un-braked.

Post 97 you are allowed to tow a trailer up to 750kg un-braked. Over 750Kg the trailer has to be braked (on all wheels) and the total gross weight of the tow vehicle + total gross weight of the trailer is not over 3.5 tons. The tow vehicle has to be declared as being capable of towing the trailer too according to the manufacturer.

It is a guide line that the trailer is not over 80-90% of the weight of the tow vehicle, I have not found anything in law that states a specific limit. However with the exception of 4x4 you would be hard pressed to find a manufacturer towing limit that is heavier than the gross vehicle weight.

Unfortunately the police are not very knowledgeable on this so they may pull you when you are legal.

A couple of other things to bear in mind.

- They always go on plated weights so even if you are clearly towing an empty trailer, if it is plated at 2.5 ton, that is what they will count it as.

- The police can ask you to follow them to a weigh bridge, if you have overloaded the trailer then again they have you (as lots of people were plating trailers so that the plated weights wouldn't get them into trouble.

Anyway, I hope that helps people, it is worth double checking as this is what I could find and my interpretation based on a huge amount of reading!

Cheers,

Jon

Last edited by jmh on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:45 am 

Name:
I should also add, as has been mentioned, if you hit 7.5 ton, legally you have to be on air brakes and a tachometer too. Driving regs also come into play I believe

Got to love road law.

Also if you do go into the trailers, there are loads of little things like running lights when the trailer reaches a certain size etc. if you are going to do any serious amount of towing I would recommend reading up on all of this

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09 am 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Jon, last year I did a bit of looking into towing law, as you say its an absolute minefield of vagueness, your post is very informative, I'm wondering about moving and using it as a reference article as these questions seem to come up on a regular basis over several different forums. What do think about adding some reference sites and having it put up as a reference?

Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 pm 

Name:
Hi Bruce,

No problem I will add in the references this evening and you can move it to where-ever you like :)

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 am 

Name:
I have one of these catalogues from indespension. Its about ten years out of date so I had a quick look on the bay of thieves and they still print them. For a fiver its money well spent and it also lists all the part numbers for the trailer spare.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAILER-REPAI ... 0892798287

Bob