All times are UTC

Post subject: DIY Parts Cleaning Tank?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
One of the things I'm still on the lookout for is a parts cleaning tank, they seem a bit expensive for what really boils down to a tub, filter and pump so my question is has anyone built their own? Is it feasible to knock something together utilising a fuel pump or similar?

Also googling around on what fluid people use comes up with a variety of concoctions, the water based ones apparently don't clean very well and can suffer mould growth if not used for some time but are not flammable. Others use paraffin/diesel mixes in various ratios, Jizer, household cleaning products, the list is endless. Anyone got any good experience of anything in particular?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Moderator

A bit more on this, I was thinking of basing it on an oil drum stand with a pump mounted 6 - 18" from the bottom to allow the sludge to settle and not be sucked back up in the pump, mount some sort of tub on top draining back in the drum.

Was thinking of a pump like this or similar:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boat-Marine-D ... 4169aed75f

I can pick up used oil drums locally for £10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Moderator

Name:
That sounds like a good plan to me Bruce.

Shop bought parts washers are a rip off for what they are. :o

All you need is a small sump at the bottom of your home made parts washer.
Just remember to keep the pump outlet 30-40mm above the sump bottom,this will allow the sludge to settle at the bottom of the sump & not get dragged into your pump.

I tried Gunk many moons ago, found it difficult to wash the residue away.
Switched to Jizer & have stuck with it ever since, washes off with water, can be blown of with an air hose or simply be left to air dry.

Diesel, Parafin/kerosene will also work but then you have an oil residue to deal with.

The seals in that pump should be able to cope with the likes of Jizer, inline filter may be a handy addition though.

If you need some filter mesh, give me a shout I have some fine stainless steel mesh here, it's pre-cut into about 4" disks, would be happy to pop one in the post to you. :)

Ronnie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 am 

Name:
The best home grown parts washer I ever saw was at a mates place.He found a stainless steel catering size deep bowl sink with a short draining board on the side and he let that into his work top. Where the tap holes were he attached a shower head . Under the bench was a half barrel placed under what would be the plughole with the pump as you said raised from the bottom about six inches. beauty of this was when he wanted to just rinse stuff off he just used the shower hose then left stuff on the drainer, if it needed soaking he put the plug in and filled it up from the tank below. just one word of warning , the parts washer gook is in some cases highly inflammable so the under counter tank needs protection from things like grinder sparks.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 am 
Site Moderator

Right, game on then :) Some more searches to add to my ebay list, Thanks Ronnie regarding the mesh, once I've found a sink or something similar I'l let you know.

Bob, I am concerned about the fire risk tbh, the man cave isn't the biggest area to fit aeverything in and it buts up to the house, another topic to visit fairly soon, extinguishers, smoke/heat alarms etc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Moderator

well I was looking for bits and what comes up in my facebook feed:

Rose Pub Biggleswade
3 hours ago ·
A supplier went bust and left us with 20 empty Kegs IN THE WAY and they will never collect them yet we aren't allowed to scrap them because they are stamped their property and scrap metal places wary of that. My questions are... what are they worth? & Who would like to arrange to steal them?

I'l have a couple of them then :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:11 pm 

Name:
Quote:
well I was looking for bits and what comes up in my facebook feed:

Rose Pub Biggleswade
3 hours ago ·
A supplier went bust and left us with 20 empty Kegs IN THE WAY and they will never collect them yet we aren't allowed to scrap them because they are stamped their property and scrap metal places wary of that. My questions are... what are they worth? & Who would like to arrange to steal them?

I'l have a couple of them then :lol:
Could you grab 2 for me Bruce?

Bob

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:

you grab 2 for me Bruce?

Bob

Will do, going down there tomorrow to see them :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Dave
I will take a couple of them too bruce will get them off you when you get your next lot of gas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Moderator

Will grab 2 for you Dave :)