All times are UTC

Post subject: new member
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:20 pm 

Name:
Hi all
Found this forum this morn ing while thinking about building a lotus 7 type replica/tribute read the Ron Champion book years ago but never got round to doing anything .but this week was my daughters 21st Birthday and part of her present was a slalom experience run by Caterham a fantastic day which has left me wanting one however a Caterham is way out of my price range hence got the old Ron Champion book back out however things seem to have moved on now with Haynes roadster book now out which has now got me thinking about going in this direction ironicaly I was offered a sierra twin cam a of weeks ago so this seems like fate any thoughts and opinions are welcom
Thanks Bob

Post subject: Re: new member
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:12 pm 

Name:
Hello Bob, and Welcome to our world.

Everybody here will agree with me if I say that it is a fantastic adventure!

The Twin-Cam engine is not the most popular engine among the Roadster's builders, there are more Pinto and Zetec (and bigger stuffs too ;) ) but I am installing the DOHC from my Sierra donor in my Roadster, so it is not impossible. You will also certainly be willing to also use the donor gear box which is a MT75, so the chassis design has to be adapted to this gearbox. You can find the amendments on the Haynes Forum at this link (and I advise you to read all the amendments of this section, it is a good starting point).
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

However, I fitted the DOHC + MT75 in a "book" chassis (designed for a Pinto and a Type9 gearbox), but I think it is because it is a left hand driver Roadster I'm building (and it is a bit tight, let's be honest :o ).
If you have any questions about that do not hesitate. I'm not very skilled, so I might not be able to help, but I'll try. You can also have a look at my blog, but it not really up to date, but will be this week I hope :)

Anyway, you'll see, here everybody is nice and so helpful, and never be afraid to ask a question, there are no stupid ones. I would never be near to where I am with my build now without the forums, that is for sure.

And I know another Bob around here ( ;) ) who is going to ask for pictures as soon as you start, so make some and post them please!

Good luck!

Bye.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:40 pm 

Name:
Welcome to the crazy world of roadster building. Sierra seems like it was meant to be so go for it, engine choice is wide open from four pot,v6,straight 6, and even some fools putting v8`s in :lol: Enjoy :D

Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Welcome aboard Bob :D

Just to follow on from Sylvian and the other Bob, I think the Haynes book is a great starting point, from there the opportunities to customise and personalise your build are all open to your imagination :shock:

Please feel free to post any questions you have.

And Bob (Robo), your slacking! you know the rules! as Sylvian said your supposed to ask for pictures :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 pm 

Name:
Wecome Bob

Go for it mate. If you have a donor then it makes life a lot easier -no hunting down bits and bobs sorry pieces.

Uncornishbob will be pestering you for pics but we all love a photo :P

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:28 pm 

Name:
Welcome Bob and good to see another cornishman here .
I started mine a week or so ago and the guys on the forums are great and yes plenty of pics required.

http://thailoz.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:17 am 

Name:
Thanks for the welcome guys I was'nt to sure about the dohc engine and I do have rover v8 lump sitting in the garage so once i've got a basic frame made up i might drop it in and have look just to see how much more work it would be thanks once again

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:27 am 

Name:
Welcome Bob, good to see another person from the west country.

Terry

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:29 am 

Name:
Quote:
I was'nt to sure about the dohc engine and I do have rover v8 lump sitting in the garage so once i've got a basic frame made up i might drop it in and have look just to see how much more work it would be
Another insane member :lol: :lol: YES.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:46 pm 

Name:
hi everyone, must clear something up, although my forum name is cornishbob i'm actually based in kent the cornishbob name comes from my days of landrover trialing sorry if i mislead any one
bob