All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:22 pm 

Name: Rob Simmons
I'm looking at buying a Locost frame with some suspension parts to get me started. Given that I don't yet know how to weld, I think this will be a good way to jump start a project to play with while I'm here.... More to follow... I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:04 pm 

Name: Gary
haha , thought you had been a bit quite...lol I saw you had an interest in the mcsorley frame and stuff, Good luck and yes if it works out go for it.
Is there any workshop facilities on base that you could practice welding scrap pieces together, even a tame mechanic that could show you the ropes for a couple of beers in the bar ( beers not welding in the bar :) )
The practice would give you the confidence to proceed, good luck this IS the start of a very slippery slope..... and your wife thought she married a stable upstanding member of the service..... oh dear
You will soon discover the world of "oh that didn't cost much dear" or "it was a bargin" :) :)
Look forward to the developments
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:07 pm 

just a thought , serious one, no honest I do have the odd one..... if the chassis is tacked together and your worried about welding it yourself it may be worthwhile to find a tame welder on or off base who would do the final welding for you for peace of mind
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:49 am 

Thanks for the replies Gary.

There is a welder at the auto craft shop, but he is retiring in a couple weeks. He is willing to show me the ropes, but my schedule hasn't allowed me to get over there for the lessons. :oops:

As for the Mrs.... She has been tolerating my car hobby/addiction for over 25 years now. :shock: Every once in awhile she is willing to step into the madness with me, so I need to take advantage of it when I can! ;)

I still haven't had any reply on the McSorley chassis, so I have been browsing Ebay... There are a handful of projects in various states that I am watching. I looked really hard at the Mk Indy RR chassis on locostbuilders and Darren was even nice enough to send me some measurements. That chassis is awesome, but it requires some pretty specific Mk Indy pieces to complete. I would like to find something a little more basic for my first stab at this. I'll post again if/when I find something to play with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:33 pm 

I just called the auto craft shop and Gitano is still working... I'll try to sneak over there this weekend with my old rusted out fire pit and some scrap metal and see what trouble I can get into. He said learning on old, dirty stuff is a good way to learn. The new, clean stuff is too easy... ;)

As for the projects out there... Several options to look at, but they are all 9+ hours drive just for a look see. Ebay buyer beware I suppose...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:05 pm 

if you shortlist something ask on the forum if anyone is local to have a look see on your behalf and report back, at least it would give you a heads up on what it really is like before travelling, a good set of roof bars will take a locost chassis up top and they go int boot when not needed :) and its amazing what you can get inside the car too :)
failing that ask for detail photos rather than just the general views in the ads any trustworthy seller will only be to happy to help

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:00 pm 

Hey Gary,

I sent you a PM for your opinion on something. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:33 pm 

hi Rob replied too :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:05 pm 

Thanks Gary!

We'll see.... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:49 pm 

Maybe starting with the "FrankenMule" from Bruce is a good way to get me started... ;)