PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:01 pm 

Name:
HAYNES is back up albeit still getting spammed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:18 pm 
Site Moderator

Name:
That's good news Kev :)

Good that the site admin has taken the time to bring forum members up to date.

Ronnie :D

Post subject: Re: HAYNES BACK UP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 pm 

Name:
Back up and running or not I wont be turning my back on this site. There is a load of extra bits going to be added here that will make this a better place. Of course i will poke my nose in on the haynes site but as far as info goes we should all bear in mind how fragile the net/hosts can be. So i for one will be posting on both sites. Anyhow how cool is it when you can winge straight to the top man 8-) and have the site changed about. That would just never happen on the haynes site.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:05 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Dave
I will be moving over here more now it going to be more of a place for actual builders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
I agree with both you guys above, for once I'm really lost for words :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 pm 

Name:
Hello,
I have to say I'm a bit concerned about every one moving to this forum. Haynes Forum is a bottomless mine of informations that has been collected for years. Giving up on it will mean losing all this treasure.
Don't misunderstand me, I think having an alternative place to meet is a good thing, and Bonzo did a great forum interface. I just don't want the Haynes Forum to die.
I am also pissed off by the spams, and I don't understand why Haynes don't seem to offer a working solution. I thought the off-line days will be used to inject new security tools in the forum, and I was happy to see it back on line, with a lot of hopes, but I discovered right after that it has been spammed again straightly, in spite of what I thought were the efforts of the web masters to do something about the problem.
I think it would be better to try to put pressure on Haynes web masters (petition, grouped emails, I don't know) to make them change and secure the forum for good, rather than giving up on it. You are the local guys, you know how it works over there in the UK (I can give you some tips from the French farmers, but it might be too extreme :mrgreen: ), so someone might have an idea about how to put pressure on them. I would vote for a collective email signed by each genuine member.
What do you guys think ?

Post subject: Companion forum ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Moderator

Name:
Agreed, there is indeed a great deal of information contained within the Haynes Forum.

However as we have found out in the past, how safe is it.
A few years back we lost 1000's of posts after a malicious attack, During this attack blocks of 20 threads were being deleted at a fair rate of knots.
Haynes admin sat back & done nothing for days before finally pulling the plug to sort the issue out.

Now we find the Haynes forum subjected to a spam attack, once again Haynes admin have been slow to react.
The Haynes forum has been off line for a few days & I am surprised to see that absolutely nothing has changed, is still being spammed.
Surely even with an elderly version of forum software there must be tools to combat spam bots ( Starting by increasing the sign up security )

What will we all do if or when Haynes decide the forum no longer provides the company value for money & decide to pull the plug as part of a cost cutting exercise ?

Personally, I feel the world wide web is big enough for a small companion forum such as this.

It is my intention to keep this forum running as long a folk wish to support it.

Visit the Haynes forum & visit here, best of both worlds really.
At least members here will not have to watch their P's & Q's to toe the company line :)

The aim of this forum is to create a small Roadster builder based membership, a community free from forum politics & ultimately run by the membership.

In summary.

Why not be part of both forums :)

Ronnie :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 pm 

Name:
I think youve said it all there ronnie,

I will be staying here thats for sure, i will be looking on the haynes forum still to avoid "splitting the camp" however, I remember when the Haynes forum used to be a laugh and a giggle and we had folks like yourself chipping in and sharing info, photos and giggles. Then came along a spider or two who did a giant shit on the whole community, backs got put up and fallouts started ( im not saying Im a saint). There seems to be less and less posts on haynes where folk share pics of what theyve done for fear of being flamed or put down- not so much now, but id say between summer last year and march this year a lot of nice knowledgable folk left the forum for good.

I have always liked your "way with words" and your hilarious comments and out going nature, even though youve had it rougher than most- your an inspiration to me as i struggle to get out of my troubles.

What im trying to say, (im a bit pissed so bear with me) is i think everyone should give this forum a go, ronnies set this forum up on his own ( with Junior :ugeek: ), for the benefit of the haynes community and its served as an emergency refuge when the haynes forum has been hacked and spammed. Its still here after 3 years and i think out of respect for that we should all give it a go and stay with it. Its better to have something run by someone who cares than a company that doesnt.

Plant a seed and one day it will grow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:34 pm 

Name:
I think the best way forward here is to use both or all three (locostbuilders) this is what I intend to do and it is no grief to copy and paste threads
why have the wealth of info disappear from any of them....why not "back" them up ....yes peeps will have their faves, but so what, I have often
searched lost of nissan forums to find out about my particular engine and if they were not supported where the hell will you get your next solution to a problem
I say it is important to keep as many going as possible

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm 

Name:
im still awake, just on my fourth can. 5am start tommorow good job im getting the train :roll: