All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: HAYNES BACK UP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Quote:
im still awake, just on my fourth can. 5am start tommorow good job im getting the train :roll:
Really Nathan? you know that reply is nearly as lame as a H update! Ooo er, did I just say that out loud, oops :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Make sure you get on the right one lol

Post subject: Re: HAYNES BACK UP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:21 pm 

Name:
shouldnt be too much hassle, the missus usually drops me at the station with the destination on a board hung from my neck. One thing i did notice is that tommorows ticket is one way :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:57 pm 

Name:
Quote:
Hello,
I have to say I'm a bit concerned about every one moving to this forum. Haynes Forum is a bottomless mine of informations that has been collected for years. Giving up on it will mean losing all this treasure.
Don't misunderstand me, I think having an alternative place to meet is a good thing, and Bonzo did a great forum interface. I just don't want the Haynes Forum to die.
I am also pissed off by the spams, and I don't understand why Haynes don't seem to offer a working solution. I thought the off-line days will be used to inject new security tools in the forum, and I was happy to see it back on line, with a lot of hopes, but I discovered right after that it has been spammed again straightly, in spite of what I thought were the efforts of the web masters to do something about the problem.
I think it would be better to try to put pressure on Haynes web masters (petition, grouped emails, I don't know) to make them change and secure the forum for good, rather than giving up on it. You are the local guys, you know how it works over there in the UK (I can give you some tips from the French farmers, but it might be too extreme :mrgreen: ), so someone might have an idea about how to put pressure on them. I would vote for a collective email signed by each genuine member.
What do you guys think ?

I dont think anyone here is going to turn their backs on the haynes forum but I think it would be very prudent to run both sites . look what happened when we did all have our eggs in one basket.

Bob

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:25 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,
I have to say I'm a bit concerned about every one moving to this forum. Haynes Forum is a bottomless mine of informations that has been collected for years. Giving up on it will mean losing all this treasure.
Don't misunderstand me, I think having an alternative place to meet is a good thing, and Bonzo did a great forum interface. I just don't want the Haynes Forum to die.
I am also pissed off by the spams, and I don't understand why Haynes don't seem to offer a working solution. I thought the off-line days will be used to inject new security tools in the forum, and I was happy to see it back on line, with a lot of hopes, but I discovered right after that it has been spammed again straightly, in spite of what I thought were the efforts of the web masters to do something about the problem.
I think it would be better to try to put pressure on Haynes web masters (petition, grouped emails, I don't know) to make them change and secure the forum for good, rather than giving up on it. You are the local guys, you know how it works over there in the UK (I can give you some tips from the French farmers, but it might be too extreme :mrgreen: ), so someone might have an idea about how to put pressure on them. I would vote for a collective email signed by each genuine member.
What do you guys think ?

I dont think anyone here is going to turn their backs on the haynes forum but I think it would be very prudent to run both sites . look what happened when we did all have our eggs in one basket.

Bob
I agree Bob, both should be able to coincide happily, both would naturally develop their own 'feel' and people could choose both or one or the other or all three as what happens now with locost.

After there is 4,167 active members over there, I'm sure they wouldnt miss a couple of hundred :D :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:18 pm 

Name:
The spam thing has damaged the haynes site but the most damage has been done very slowly over a long period of time. The format has never changed and it has become very disorganised. Posting in the wrong sections and repeat threads poping up all the time make hard work of reading up specific parts of the build. It might be an idea to keep an eye on the incorrect postings to help keep it all in some sort of order, otherwise three years down the road it will be all over the show. I know we are short of content on here at this stage but that is true of any new forum, post count is going up by the day so all is good :D :D and we have a host that does give a damn.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:41 pm 

Name:
+1 for the clearer way this forum is laid out.

The existence of a seperate area for technical articles on this forum is great and has been conspicuously lacking from both the Haynes and Locost Builders forums. It means technical inf and advice can be found immediately and this makes it much more likely for the forum to be attractive to new users and to catch the interest of those looking to build or buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:45 pm 

Name:
I find the Haynes forum "empty" theres not the information there that should be. Shame really.

http://www.equinoxproducts.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Moderator

Name:
Quote:
I find the Haynes forum "empty" theres not the information there that should be. Shame really.
Quite agree Ben.

It has been quite frustrating watching the Haynes forum stagnate. :cry:
Haynes admin are determined that the format of the forum will remain unchanged & absolutely refuse to listen to it's membership. :roll:

Take the following point for example:
Members had been asking for the activation of Avatars for over 2 years ( Only moderators & admin were allowed to have one )
I doubt if it were not for a huge admin cock up, Avatars would still not be allowed.
For those that do not know or remember, admin appointed 3 new moderators without informing the members, said 3 members were allowed to use Avitars.
As you would expect, this caused a lot of confusion at the time & was not well received by the forum membership.
True to form, after a very long dealy, Haynes admin finally activated Avitars for all.

So sad really, I have been watching the Hayes forum slowly die over the last few years.
Pity really, it used to be a real vibrant & fun place to be. :cry:

Ronnie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:42 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:
Ben while I think there is a huge amount of valuable historic information buried within the site it is just that, buried and bogged down, as Ronnie is saying Haynes admin seem to have always been reluctant to listen to its members, keep the site up to date or put any effort into updating the structure to better display the contents within. In truth they can have as many moderators as they like but if those moderators have only limited permissions and no freedom to change anything that might benefit the site then they are nothing more than cleaners (this is not directed at them or their abilities).

Anyway I'm waffling on, the thing is Ben, Ronnie is offering a site here where members can have their input and help shape its growth into something that suit the members, so far we've seen some stunning quality input that I don't think I've ever been seen on Haynes, you can be part of that as well, a full case study on the equinox stuff would make a great reference article. Yes Ronnie I'm working on the Electrolysis for DIY :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, nice to hear from you Ben :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 pm 

Name:
I've just posted a how to cut fibreglass on the equinox facebook page.

Dont know whether i should post it here aswell?

http://www.equinoxproducts.co.uk/