All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:55 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Almost there, only about another 5 bits to go but waiting for steel delivery. Next on the list is to sort out some chassis plates.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:14 pm 
Site Moderator

Nothing done but picked up a complete Corsa C EPAS steering column with key for £50, I also have the steering wheel to go with but its just not in the picture.

I got it from a breakers that only deal with Corsa's, they're based in Luton but they're happy to ship these out http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/corsacare?ssP ... EM:GB:1181

Theres' usefull info on the electrics here:

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog/co ... -a118.html
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog/co ... -a119.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:36 pm 

Name:
That leccy info is useful Bruce, good find :)

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:02 pm 
Site Moderator

Have been looking more into getting the plans printed out full scale, sent off a couple of smaller drawings to printers (A0 costing about £2.50 a sheet) but they came back out of scale, I soon found out its to do with the types of plotter they were using - thermal one cause the paper to shrink whereas inkjet one don't. I did find someone that could do inkjet printouts but they wanted £20 - £25 a sheet.

At that point I probably should have let the idea go but having invested quite a bit of time in it already I found myself searching good old ebay for plotters with a plan that I could buy one, keep it for a few weeks to do my prints then sell it on. Most were up for silly amounts but there was one dusty old monochrome one in Nottingham from a clearance company with a starting bid of £70, emailed the seller, he claimed that it was fully working and I ended up winning it for £88.

Picked it up and got it home, plugged it in and voila! busy light stuck on and the display didn't work so couldn't even read the error messages :x Was pretty hacked off at this point but calmly messaged the guy who just said fair enough and refunded my money, so I don't believe they ever tested it. Set about taking it apart and cleaning all the rollers and bit and bobs and generally fiddling about, the bottom of the ink cartridges were also thick with gunged up ink. Put it all back together and happy days, no busy light! Display still doesn't work though but for £35 worth of diesel and a few hours of time I have a printer I can print to, at least until another error comes up cos with no display I have to guess what the error is :? but there is another one of the same going on the bay for 99p at the minute with a working display but has paper feed problems.

The Plotter

A test printout of half the chassis plan, perfectly scaled.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 pm 

Name:
Thats a snip Bruce, so when you sell £40 would see you in profit :twisted: Hmmmmmm

Bob :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Moderator

Moving on to actually making something I made up a small jig board, 18mm ply backed with 50mm angle for rigidity.

First up, front frame - I chose to not do the pie cut shown in the book and make the front frame out of 6 pieces. Working on the side pieces first I printed out a scale angle of 154.3° and set out the obligatory furniture blocks as so . . .

First two pieces in and tacked up one side.

Flatted the tacks off and flipped the piece to tack the other side . . .

With both sides tacked up and flatted off I moved on to setting up the jig with top and bottom, again used a printout, saves faffing about drawing it up, perfectly accurate and less prone to error and once done just lifts off. Three pieces of 25mm box actually measured 75.6mm high, a nearby screwbox lid just happened to be .6mm thick and lent itself to offset the bottom rail to bring it back in to 75mm height difference. Clamped up and ready for tacking.

Tacked up . . .

And all welded up, worked one weld in each corner at a time and left a fan on it for a few minutes in between to allow the heat to dissipate. All welded up and no distortion :D

Would have been nice to Tig this but alas the Tig welder is not working at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:39 pm 
Site Moderator

As I'm building outside I want to do as much prep as possible before putting the chassis together, to that end I think I can pre fab some sub structures, particularly those with multiple angles and at least have them tacked up ready to fit together, hopefully this will both save a lot of time setting it out and also help with absolute accuracy, then again it could actually work against me if some adjustment is needed but if thats the case and its only tacked then not too much bother, time will tell :lol:

This is probably next on the list, although it seems the shed fairies have been in and stolen TR9 :? No biggy as I still have steel left over but sod's law says that they'l return it straight after I cut a new one :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:00 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:
Thats a snip Bruce, so when you sell £40 would see you in profit :twisted: Hmmmmmm

Bob :)

Won the 2nd printer for 99p :D :oops: Does anyone else get just a little embarrassed by that? Anyway it looks newer/had an easier life than the first one, it was coming up with an error 'Check Pen Path' took the covers off to have a look and it worked fine, put the covers back on and the error came back. On a closer look it seems someone's either lent on or put something on top of it bending the top in a bit so it just catches on the ribbon cable as the carriage moves back and forth causing it to think its got a jam.

I now how both a fully working plotter and the original one which works but has no display, so when I'm done doing my prints I should hopefully be able to recover most of my diesel costs :lol:

Scuttle bars TR8 and TR9 with the double set all done.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:17 pm 

Name:
What a fantastic bit of kit. I like the idea of the sub assemblies, a lot less chance of distortion and being able to roll them around on the bench will make for some easier welds.
The paper template thing might be a money earner for the haynes chassis builders here and over on the dark side Bruce think of the ££££££££££££3`s :)

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:07 pm 

Name:
I found this build thread all alone five pages back. Come on Bruce shake a leg neglect the kids for a day or two :lol:

Bob

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next