All times are UTC

 




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 57
Name:
Location: Barnsley
After 3.5yrs on hold due to a garage extension, MR2 V6 build, Monte engine rebuild etc etc, I'm finally back at the point where I can re-start my Haynes build.

This was where I started back in 2011

http://forum.ppcmag.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... 61ff4bf446

Pretty grubby after its lay up-

Image

So a quick wash down and dry off in the sun before going back into the garage-

Image

Space cleared and floor painted. Shelves are currently overloaded with the rest of the parts for the build-

Image

Image

Thought I'd try out the bodywork for size-

Image

And see how a wheel looks on there. My lad seems to approve ;)

Image

All I need now is TIME, oh and a Digidash, exhaust, pedal box etc etc


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:17 am 
Offline
Site Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:59 pm
Posts: 1015
Name: Bruce
Location: Biggleswade
I remember coming accross your thread during my trawls of the web. Good to see it back on :D


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 57
Name:
Location: Barnsley
Settled on a single welded in brace at the front of the seats to prevent any potential flexing in the middle of the floor and protect the leading edge of my arse!!

Image

One floor panel cut to size, just waiting for the 4mm stainless rivets to arrive-

Image

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 57
Name:
Location: Barnsley
Ok so the drivers side floor is in. Bonded, rivetted and a couple of extra m6 bolts towards the centre of the front seat bracing bar. It feels rock solid with no flexing or 'doinging' :D Now I'm happy with the result I'll crack on and do the other side the same.

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 57
Name:
Location: Barnsley
Drivers side floor now finished and seat trial fitted into position. Feels nice and solid :D

Image

Image

Time to start on the passenger side now I'm happy the floor is nice and solid.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 57
Name:
Location: Barnsley
Thought I'd replace the sticky old bush in the steering column while I was on with sorting the seating position. Nice shiny self centering bearing and all spins nice and freely now :)

Image

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 57
Name:
Location: Barnsley
Got both side floors fixed in now and both seats trial fitted. A little low at present but easily remedied with some spacers once I know the height of the seat belt mountings on the rear rollbar-

Image

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 57
Name:
Location: Barnsley
I always knew bodywork clearance would be an issue when I decided to fit the BMW engine in my Haynes. Today I found out to what extent. The engine's about as low as it can go, with the oil pickup already 25mm below the bottom rails. There's not much to be gained from modifying the sump / pickup as the flywheel then becomes the lowest point. So it looks like I need to gain about 50mm from somewhere and I'm pretty sure I can't get anywhere near that by dropping the engine / box. The easiest / obvious solution is to raise the bodywork (nosecone / bonnet / scuttle) on 2 50x25mm alloy box sections fixed on top of the engine bay top rails. But is this going to look all wrong? Should I try and lower the engine 25mm (major pita!!) and raise the bodywork 25mm instead?

Thoughts please.

Image

Image

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 57
Name:
Location: Barnsley
Today I decided to drop the engine and see how things look. So I removed all the Land Rover engine mounts which gave me an approximate 40mm drop. The bodywork now fits, JUST!! The oil pickup is now 50mm below the chassis at its lowest point. I haven't tried the sump yet but I reckon it'll be too low so I'll either need to cut it down or make a completely new one in steel. The flywheel isn't the issue I thought it would be and the gearbox is currently the low point and is about 20-25mm below the chassis.
I reckon this is where the engine is going to sit now so I need to chop off the engine mounts and lose 40mm from them. I suppose this is what happens when you mount your engine before you have any bodywork.

Image

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:07 pm 
Offline
Site Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:59 pm
Posts: 1015
Name: Bruce
Location: Biggleswade
Cracking on and making good progress :D

I'm interested in your gear linkage, as its something I will have to sort at some point.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 Next

All times are UTC

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Copyright 2016: Roadster Builders

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited