All times are UTC

Post subject: Bobs V8 Roadster Build
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:35 pm 

Name:
Brief recky of what I am building and why. A few mates of mine have been on the westfield scene for a few years and I have had the chance to drive them over a period of time. Also have a friend with a race tuned caterham 7 superlight , I was always impressed with the way they handled and being used to mental hp in other things I have had never been that impressed with the amount of grunt they had. That all changed when another friend built a westy v8, I was given the ride from hell and thought this is more like it :D . I got to drive the thing and although it went like stink the handling was ok ish it was not as darty or sharp as the four pot versions. On closer inspection westfield have got the engine pulled forward and sitting very high in the chassis just to obtain ground clearance and avoid messing with the already tight gear tunnel.
Anyway I fancied building a seven with a v8 and none of the kits on the market tick all the boxes which brings me to the Haynes, pretty much a blank canvas, wider than most of the other seven cars and plenty of leg room for tall drivers. The intention is to build a smallblock ford powered seven type car to have on the road but too also hill climb, sprint and track day. Along the way a friend of mine has been showing interest so he has bitten the bullet so there are two cars of the same spec being built along side each other. The build criteria is to get the engine as far back and as low as possible , this will be done by using a very small diameter nascar flywheel with an ap racing clutch, custom made bellhousing using a rear entry starter and a low profile sump. Shopping list on another thread and will be added to as and when.forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=357

Any way time to crack on with the build and being a sunny day I thought it would be a good chance to get the chassis`s we got from talon in primer to stave off the tin worm,when all the mounts and welding are finished I will send them off for sand blasting and powder coating. Surface rust had already got to them so I attacked them with scotchbrite and a rotary wire brush. After about a hour all ten sheets of scotchbrite were in tatters but I found a rotary scotchbrite flap wheel in the workshop so set to with that http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-3M-SCOTCH ... 27d2f23d8d. I have never used one before but shoved it in the drill, these are a fantastic thing for cleaning up steel without removing any material so I will get some more for later on. Primer was from a rattle can.

Last edited by robo on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:19 pm 

Name:
First job is to clean up the bmw large case diff and make up the mounts to hang it off. These diffs work out well because you get a decent ratio with a lsd and the 108mm driveshaft flanges to match the cossie halfshafts.They also have the speedo transducer in the back which is handy as the getrag gearbox has no speedo drive. When phil made the chassis`s I got him to tack weld SB4 in place and omit cp10 and cp14 a these would be in the way.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Nice to see you making a start Bob :D

I'l be interested to see your diff mounts, although your diff looks different to how I recall mine, I will have to dig it out and have another look.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 pm 

Name:
Here is some gumph on the beemer medium and large case diffs Bruce.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Mine's measuring up as a medium.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 pm 

Name:
Quote:
Its OK mate I am told its not the size that counts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:35 am 
Site Moderator

Name: Dave
Quote:
Quote:
Its OK mate I am told its not the size that counts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only someone with a small one would say that lol

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:44 pm 

Name:
:lol: :lol:

Oi this is my build thread , dont mind talking about tools but not those ones :lol:

Bob

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 pm 

Name:
I dont know what you are all on about----I only mentioned the size of your-----er----Diff :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:45 pm 

Name:
Just picked up this tvr pedal box that sort of lends itself to be chopped about for the roadster. Floor mounted and its very nicely made, only needs an inch taken off one side to fit. The piccies are short on here so right mouse click on the pictures then click the view image to get the full size piccie.

Maybe just maybe :lol:

Bob