All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next
 Post subject: Re: progress at last
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:27 am 

Name: Gary
ok so I got a replacement instrument cluster and that sorted that part out , so turned the key and just a click, so stuck the battery on charge and got washed and had tea, put the battery in and tried again .. click and a very hot battery + wire , so replaced the starter (luckily I had one) so ignition lights , no hot cable and starter spinning freely and cranking the motor quite happily but NO starty, so ordered a replacement ecu....... to be continued

now as to the question of why this trouble...... torrential rain shorted out the starter motor, which caused the power spike that blew the main 100 amp fuse so why the other problems , well I have found a "temporary" wire that I ran from the ignition switch to the solenoid when I had wiring issues before and it is not fused, I know , I know better but I remember at the time thinking great its going I will finish that later.... mmmm
So we can only surmise that when it blew the main fuse it had a flow through said wire hence fried electrics , so a couple of pounds fuse holder would have led to the car being sorted at the roadside and no expense now, there is a lesson there .
So a wee bit crestfallen and waiting for bits , its just a question of how much damage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:57 pm 

Name: richard
nightmare gary maybe time for a megasquirt ecu :twisted:

i now have all the lights working thanks to your tip on the dimmer, no power to fuel pump and any of the ignition lights on the dash so thats my next issue why the ecu is not feeding any of that, printed out the wiring diagram you sent so i can trave it all through.
there is a plug above the key with two heavy green wires with nothing on it hopefully i havent lost something esential from there but i think its the key alarm and that the black wires underneath are the imobiliser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:50 pm 

you should have a pair of wires from the ring around the ignition key hole ( this reads the key) I will have a look see about those green wires
I had an offer of an omex ecu but I need to make sure that whatever I upgrade to can do the svt and injection, that's why the svt ecu is different as its "adaptive" and can cope with the fuelling changes to suit both the svt and forced induction, along with all the sensors... like you said a nightmare that a 10p fuse would have saved !!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:30 pm 

da da daaa, the beast fired up tonight
so To summarise , I have had to replace the main 100 amp fuse !!, the starter and solenoid, the instrument cluster, ecu and the battery an expensive breakdown
so I am going to tidy up a bit of behind the dash wiring this weekend and get her all back together.
I really was pulling my hair out with this one as the battery was reading 13V at the battery and at the ignition switch until my dad asked "you have checked it under load " so back out and fastened the meter where I could see it and tried cranking.... straight down to 3 V and then fell to 0.8V release the key and back to 13V, so a quick trip to get a battery and whoopee she fired straight up.
there's more to this invisible elektrickery than meets the eye..... anyway moving forwards at last
Bring on the next adventure.........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:37 pm 

oh and a wee bit late but got my westy FW hood back from the saddler so popped it on , just needs tensioning a wee bit, not to everyones taste I'm sure but it will allow us to still have our luggage ont back when we go touring and help keep SWMBO a little drier if it is inclement (mind you if its as bad as the last episode I'm parking and waiting for it to stop !!)
Attachment:
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG [ 74.5 KiB | Viewed 1067 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG [ 43.45 KiB | Viewed 1067 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:09 pm 

looking good, need a bit help please what clutch master did you use? i have fitted the one described from the saturn plans and the pedal is really heavy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:24 pm 

yes snap mine was too I read somewhere on an older build thread that that was the case, actually I think that the geometry of it is wrong (imo)
To be honest I was not sure if you had to go up or down on bore size to get more force for less pedal pressure, so I decided to live with it for now..... but... its fine around here and country driving, but if you are in town or slow heavy traffic its a bit of a pain , having said that I have got used to it, but it is on the list of mods to do (I have a list of them haha, who said they are ever finished)
might be one to throw out on lcb and see the collective response
sorry not much help on this one ..... anyone else want to reply ?????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:03 pm 

cheers been looking at the standard mx5 master and it might bolt in the same holes but that leaves the reservior tilted over, i wonder if the remote trick would work? my next thought is butcher the standard one to measure its size before shopping again. i have standard 0.7 some say go up a size and others down a size but £40 each i want to know before i buy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:44 am 

yes that was what I found , a conflict of information, There is no reason why you can not mount the reservoir remotely the same as the brakes, if the std m/c will fit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:08 pm 

well postie has let me down no bits today :( bet they come on Monday....
So with everything kind of secured back where it should go at least temporarily , I couldn't resist a quick "test run", oops it was a wee bit sketchy under acceleration , all the thunderstorms we have been having and the roads were damp, at least the tail wagging put a smile on my face, You just cant imagine how much I have missed driving her !
so a busy couple of weeks ahead tidying and titivating as we are going to Grampian speed fest in august and planning a wee sortie south of the border to rendezvous with mates fae Yorkshire at Keider water , so a long weekend away (13/14/15 august) hooray.
I can report to that the hood flapped a wee bit (will put some more tension on it) but did cut down on some buffeting , so swmbo will be chuffed but flying solo it WILL be off :)
I was going to pop into elgin but the roads were flooded and muck of the fields so may pop in in the tintop in the morning, that way I can get started with tidying the electrics behind the dash.....
so much to do so little time and as soon as the spanners hit her I bet the sun will appear :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next