All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:17 am 

Name:
Quote:
Cracking on and making good progress :D

I'm interested in your gear linkage, as its something I will have to sort at some point.
I'll be revisiting the gear linkage shortly once the engine is sitting in its 'final resting place'. It should be easy enough, just need to make sure it's far enough away from where the dash will be.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:18 pm 

Name:
Sump's back from its 1st stage of welding-

Plate welded on to cover where I had to chop off part of the 'wing' to clear the chassis tube-

Compartment added to gain some capacity back-

Just need to make a new base for it it and decide on the best place for the sump bung-

Not sure what the capacity will be until it's finished, but either way I'll probably have to add a cooler at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:37 pm 

Name:
Productive weekend in the 'man cave'.

Engine successfully lowered to clear the bodywork. Engine mounts chopped and tacked in new position. Gearbox mount totally remade.

Sump now chopped to get some ground clearance back.

Additional engine bay brace added, leaving just enough room for the alternator.

Strengthening web added to replace brace bar that was removed to allow engine to fit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:46 pm 

Name:
An evenings tinkering has seen the gear-change sorted.

The rear 'spike' of the original BMW gear linkage slots into a nylon / plastic bush I drilled out to size. The bush slots nicely into a piece of tube I found which in turn was welded onto a piece of bar. Tabs were welded onto the chassis and drilled through to bolt the bar onto. Gearstick now falls neatly to hand when seated and clears the dashboard too :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:12 am 

Name:
Sump's now finished. Just need to measure how much capacity I've lost. I intend to fit a big oil cooler (possibly 30 row) to gain a bit of capacity back and keep cool what I do have.

Image [/quote]

Looks like the sump now holds about 4-4.5 litres, which I reckon will be fine with a good sized oil cooler :)

Had it installed and it sits 35-40mm below the bottom rails. I reckon that's a decent compromise, just need to sort a sturdy sump guard for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:26 am 

Name:
I've had to remove the 2 rear frame support tubes due to the width of my fuel tank. So I'm adding these 2 extra ones which should also add a bit of protection to the foam filled tank too.

Also added an extra tube brace across the top rail, 2 bolt on cross braces to bolt a sump guard to, welded up the new lower engine mounts and sorted the rad mounts too :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:54 pm 

Name:
Rear roll bar made and primed-

Still deciding what to do for the rear seatbelt mounts. I'll probably put a cross piece between the bottom of the roll bar legs. Am I right in thinking that std 25mm chassis tube won't be strong enough over such a span? I might get another piece of the 40mm box that I used for the rear supports and weld 4 crush tubes into it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:40 pm 

Name: richard
have a read of the iva manual section 19 it details how to check for the belt mounts, it doesnt specify materials but does describe what the tester will look for in welds materials used etc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:41 pm 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... manual.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:00 pm 

also have a read ont he haynes forum under sva legal, there is a detailed thread on how they test the height of the seat belt mount

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next