All times are UTC

Post subject: Talon.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 am 

Name:
I met phil from talon the other day and must say I think that we dont cut him enough slack. He beavers away in that shed of his knocking out stuff and developing new ideas and gets very little in recognition for it. I was having a look at his new bodywork plugs and when they are done they will be top notch. An inch extra in the scuttle height to help clear some of the taller lumps, a nose cone with better cooling vents in the top. Then his solution for the mx5 diff mounting , pictures dont do this justice, the box formed diff casing to me is a no brainer making the diff mount in the same proven way the sierra unit is mounted. That and a lot more is going on down there and Phil is stuggling to make ends meet. I do believe its a case of use him or loose him, if he goes it would be a loss for the roadster builders. I cant see anyone filling his boots.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:08 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Totally agree Bob, i believe phil is the only independent currently actively trading, he's always on the forums willing to offer advice etc (even if it is being mr gwumpy gills lol), it would definitely be a shame to lose him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Dave
Went to phil for my suspension brackets must say top quality

Will be getting my rollbar off him once he tells me how much

Post subject: Re: Talon.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:05 am 

Name:
I think my personal problems with the juggling act that is home vs workshop is fairly common knowledge on here to most people so I won't go over it again but lets just say it's got worse and leave it at that. October was make or break time and to the people that had enough faith to spend money on a products that nobody had seen (and still hav'nt till it gets delivered) you have saved Talon as a venture and my salvation that gives me a bolt hole....

Some times I have a real problem in that I know how to make parts/products to solve a problem/demand but don't always have either the time or funding to back up my ideas, a very common problem it seems. So I raised this issue with some people that are far more eddicated than myself and they pointed out the problem straight away...I started this mostly as a hobby as a temporary distraction and priced parts to sell just to cover my humble over heads. I under cut every other company/group that was producing fabricated parts by around 1/3, now they have mostly gone and I'm still producing parts at the same price.
After 5 years of struggling to cover the basic overheads and running costs during the quite periods dumb arse here has finally realised that maybe people are willing to pay for the parts I make.

This year I'm going for it as they say so after a few long discussions about how to make this work I've been told to stop talking about it just go and do it. So now that I've been given my slap in the face and told to grow a pair of business balls I will be working on £25 an hour which is going to have quite an effect on my prices. People have said in the past that my prices have been fair and that I'm about to price myself out of the market, true but then the people that can/will make their own parts are customers I've already lost.

As of the start of Feb orders that are taken during a bi monthly period will all be given the same delivery date, order between 1st March and 1st May and your order will be sent the first Monday after the 1st. This way I'm not worrying about new orders coming in before I've cleared the current ones it also gives me one date to aim at instead of getting in mucking fuddle over delivery dates.

A range of new TMXR or reworked products from both Vodou and SSC will be coming soon after I have cleared my current workload in the next 2 weeks and done some urgent jobs around the workshop. These parts will be produced in an effort to make Talon a one stop shop for all the various suspension designs to suit what ever route people have gone down with their builds. I have turned work away in the past where Vodou, SSC and Haynes 57's builders have hit a wall and have struggled to go any further with a 'not my problem' answer but in the long run it does neither me or them any favors.

One new addition to the workshop in the new future may be another pair of part time hands although that depends how sales go in the next 3-4 months, it will allow me to carry on with the type of work I'm known for and give me a chance to work on the new stuff. The Roadster has not had the research or development done to it the same as the Locost and every thing is a bit vague when it comes to how to set them up properly and get the most from them. Hopefuly if all said above pays off then the answers may start coming and Roadster builders will be able to find what these things are capable of.

Keep an eye on my website for new products and release dates as I'm planning on making more use of it from now on, I've found the statics section a few weeks ago and nearly fell off the chair when I opened it!

Happy New year all and keep on building.

Phil Eagle Talon Motor Fabrication

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:15 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Hi Phil,

As you say you've struggled by for a while but you've always hung in there and kept going, I think your right in grabbing it by the horns and going for it. The Roadster would definitely benefit from a little development and variation and would hopefully increase its share of a difficult market.

I know we've had our differences in the past but I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope it works out for you.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:13 pm 

Name:
Well done Phil, you may be better placed now the country is sort of coming out of recession. There may be a few quid more out there for boys toys :).

Bob