All times are UTC

Post subject: Saturn Build
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:32 am 

Name:
Morning all,

Has anyone completed a "Saturn" spec build at all. I have done my chassis to that design, but have since read that there are much higher stresses involved in the geometry of the rear end with that design.

I did originally go for book spec, but lack of a sierra meant I changed my mind and stripped all of that off and built to saturn, I am now in two minds whether to rebuild again to book spec and get the adaptors from Talon.

Grateful for advice/thoughts/random ramblings.

Post subject: Re: Saturn Build
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:30 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
That's interesting Dave, where did you read that? I had only heard of there being issues with the diff arms snapping and various work arounds for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:50 pm 

Name:
Maybe that's what I read... did not like the idea of anything breaking. Was not sure if that meant the Mazda part or the chassis plates that the diff hangs off. Perhaps a bit more research required

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:03 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Dave
Its the mazda part that breaks due to the diff moving about under torque maybe make some alloy solid bushes and hard mount the diff nose and maybe some corner braceing on the diff cage

That was going to be my solution anyway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:10 pm 

Name:
Quote:
Maybe that's what I read... did not like the idea of anything breaking. Was not sure if that meant the Mazda part or the chassis plates that the diff hangs off. Perhaps a bit more research required
You are right to be concerned Dave, the original mazda diff is tethered to the gearbox with that long bar and if you look at it you can see why its installed like it. The diff nose when applying power tries to nod downwards, the tether keeps this in check, the roadster solution is to rubber mount the nose which in turn allows the back of the diff to punch upwards which snaps the support arms. There have been several failures already and in my mind its an accident waiting to happen. Who wants a flailing driveshaft millimeters from their back, The sierra diff or talons diff box conversion is the answer.

Bob