All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 am 

Name:
:roll: Nobody cares :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 pm 

Name:
Really ayjay its a matter of running through the whole build with the spanners and check all is tight. then get a ballcock out of a cistern and run that all around the build to check that anywhere it can be got to has the required radius. Light positions as per book and dont forget to have the dip/headlights beam height set. Check the tyres have the e mark on them and that they are all in good nick. If you get a chance take it to an mot station for a brake check. All things being equal you will trot out of there with a ticket :D :D .
I would have thought that anything else wrong would have been picked up on during the build thread on the haynes site.

Good Luck :D

Bob

Edit . the roadster looks well coll aj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Can't really help with any suggestions Ajay but would be great to see your prep steps documented for future reference :D

And it might be as you go through the steps it might prompt others to either notice things or remember/offer helpful little details.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:18 pm 

Name:
Really more interested in the paperwork process for IVA and what bits of bumf I need before the actual test :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 pm 
Site Moderator

Name:
Hi Ayjay

I agree, the paperwork side of things really does need to be made clearer to all builders. :? :?
Clear as mud to be honest.

One of the biggest problems we builders face is dealing with local DVLA offices.
Each local office appears to work by their own set of rules. :cry:

Often local offices will contradict information issued by DVLA Swansea or VOSA Test centers.

I am sure if someone was to write up a step by step guide, it would not be too long before someone would say " That's not how my local office works "

My best advice would be to contact your local DVLA office & find out how they like to do things.
Bear in mind, you will need to speak to the person that actually deals with the kit car registrations, if you don't, you risk being told any old crap !?

Take the subject of the MOT test before IVA
I was advised that the build needs an MOT before it could be presented for the IVA test.
This information is clearly wrong, both DVLA Swansea & Vosa confirm that the build does not need a current MOT certificate prior to the IVA test.

Have read some real horror stories of folk trying to go against the way their local office works, guess it's just a case of bending down & taking it up the ass when it comes to dealing with the DVLA. :(

That said.

All local DVLA offices are scheduled for closure and all work transferred to DVLA Swansea

The optimist in me says, fantastic, perhaps there will finally be one single set of rules to work with & would assume that the DVLA vehicle inspection side of things would be done by VOSA at the same time as the IVA test. 8-) 8-)

The pessimist in me says, This is going to turn into organised chaos. :shock: :shock:

Time will tell on this one.

All of the above is what drove me to buy a road registered 7 & I will now complete the Roadster as a track day toy that could be put on the road at some point in the future. :D

Your build is looking good Ayjay :) 8-)

Ronnie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:17 pm 

Name:
Cheers Bonz -Looks like I need to speak to the DVLA bod and ask them what I need to do.
Ill get on to it ASAP and post the results and hopefully the journey to IVA .It may help others en route ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Moderator

Ronnie, I've got a question based on what you've experienced, surely unless the car is completely legit ie registered and iva'd then no mot station would have the relevant data to test against and log the results to, so agreeing with what you said about the info being wrong.

But my question is, is there any benefit in getting a pre-test done which I think costs £35ish which may flag up/clear some issues.

Sorry Ajay, I know this this doesn't help with the paper trail :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 pm 
Site Moderator

Name:
Hi Bruce

As far as I know, a MOT station can use the VIN number to test an unregistered kit car.
Emissions will be based on engine age.

100% agree, A mock MOT prior to IVA is well worth the money.

Lost count of the IVA fails I have read, cars failing on simple things that an MOT inspection would have picked up.
Emissions & brake balance/effort being the Two most common culprits.

I am very lucky, I have access to the MOT facility's of my local garage less than 1/2 mile from home. :) :)

Ronnie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:44 pm 
Site Moderator

Thanks Ronnie, so I guess the answer to that question is to try and find a local mot inspector that maybe has an interest in the subject to get the best feedback from them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:26 pm 

Name:
Quote:
Thanks Ronnie, so I guess the answer to that question is to try and find a local mot inspector that maybe has an interest in the subject to get the best feedback from them :D
Yep thats the plan. Get it MOT'd even if no cert can be issued in order to flag up and deal with any relevant issues before IVA