All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:11 pm 

Name:
Quote:
Bruce you have to bear in mind the engine does not sit central in the chassis. Its stuffed an inch or two to the nearside.

Bob
What you talking bout Willis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:16 pm 

Name:
Footwells on the n/s are 2" narrower than the offside. The v8 has a bellhousing that completely fills the hole at the entrance to the geartunnel so in effect the engine has to be shoved over an inch or so. The only way round it is to use a smaller bellhousing/flywheel combo with an adaptor plate or build a bellhousing which is what i am doing. Bruce will probably just go for a v8 beemer box so his engine will have to be shunted over or pulled forward to clear.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:48 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Quote:
Footwells on the n/s are 2" narrower than the offside. The v8 has a bellhousing that completely fills the hole at the entrance to the geartunnel so in effect the engine has to be shoved over an inch or so. The only way round it is to use a smaller bellhousing/flywheel combo with an adaptor plate or build a bellhousing which is what i am doing. Bruce will probably just go for a v8 beemer box so his engine will have to be shunted over or pulled forward to clear.

Bob
Hmmm, Ive done quite a bit of searching and haven't found any bell housing conversions or adaptor plates yet, so unless I come across something then I'm limited to a BMW box, building one is way out of my league.

If anything I want to move it backwards, not forwards, although the current plan is to move the bulkhead back with the lump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:14 pm 

Name:
I give up on you two I really do, I hope you are listening because I'll only say this one last time CHASSIS TUBES CAN BE MOVED TO SUIT LARGE ENGINES, BELL HOUSINGS, GEAR BOXES AND WIDE SEATS if the chassis is in the way move it. Bruce the engine goes with the crank running down the centre line of the engine bay, use a Jag S type gearbox they are half the price of a BMW manual box, use a manual BMW fly wheel,jag friction and pressure plate,get a forum member who is a fabricator to make an adaptor plate. If you missed my post before you know the part where I said 'I KNOW HOW TO MAKE PEDAL BOXES WORK WITH LARGE BELL HOUSINGS' but then nobody ever listens to me so sod ya....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 pm 

Name:
I know what your saying there phil you miserable git but I have shoved the combo i have about in the frame. I have gone for a reduced diameter flywheel with the vw ring gear to take a rear entry starter, with the bellhousing i am making the engine can go right down and hard up against the baulkhead without chopping any chassis rails + still be central. It also gives me the chance to pan the panel along side the gear tunnel to give the plates of meat another 3" of foot room. I thought the whole thing was a ++ so that what I am doing. Anyway I just had a thought in that what we are using might fit bruces engine anyway so there might not be a problem for him.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:
I give up on you two I really do, I hope you are listening because I'll only say this one last time CHASSIS TUBES CAN BE MOVED TO SUIT LARGE ENGINES, BELL HOUSINGS, GEAR BOXES AND WIDE SEATS if the chassis is in the way move it. Bruce the engine goes with the crank running down the centre line of the engine bay, use a Jag S type gearbox they are half the price of a BMW manual box, use a manual BMW fly wheel,jag friction and pressure plate,get a forum member who is a fabricator to make an adaptor plate. If you missed my post before you know the part where I said 'I KNOW HOW TO MAKE PEDAL BOXES WORK WITH LARGE BELL HOUSINGS' but then nobody ever listens to me so sod ya....
Calm down son calm down :lol: Phil I did read your bit about pedal boxes :D

"I've also had a flash of rare inspiration that allows large pedal boxes to be used with large bell housings but that one I'm keeping to my self for a later date!"

The later date bit suggested you would share when you were ready so I didn't question that further :)

Still planning to move the bulkhead back as discussed earlier in the post but the question I was asking was specifically about TR5 and if people thought it could be safely omitted, possibly with the addition of web bracing around the rest of the joints.

The gearbox choice is a completely relevant discussion as the BMW boxes are not overly plentiful and expensive, if there are options on adapter plates and alternative boxes then I'l be like a dog with a bone but I haven't really gone into detail on that one yet, its one of the last missing links :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Moderator

Oh and you love us really Phil :D :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:
take a rear entry starter, hard up against the baulkhead

Bob

Really Bob? I thought this was a family forum :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:13 pm 

Name:
Bugger me , no dont :lol: :lol: :lol: I will have to de perv my posts :oops: :oops:

Bob