All times are UTC

Post subject: Build Table Height
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Hoping to cut my legs for the table tomorrow, just wondering what height anyone else has set the table top at, I'm thinking about 30" (750mm) seems about comfortable.

Post subject: Re: Build Table Height
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 pm 

Name:
I did mine from floor to top surface 68cm so I can sit and tig weld without overreaching.

http://thailoz.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:14 pm 
Site Moderator

Ah you Tigging? I thought about it long ago and in an ideal world would still like to but have decided Mig is probably the better way forward for me, I'l be doing it outside and given the great British weather nice days over the summer will probably be a premium and Mig is quicker and easier, plus I really haven't had chance to get enough seat time with the Tig yet to get confident enough with it so will have to save that for hopefully 'pretty' bits later on.

Height wise sounds like you came up with a similar height :D I don't really want to go too much lower as space is a premium and once the table is built I want to store the lump underneath it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:40 pm 

Name:
Yep Tigging not really by choice tho as I have not tigged before so have had to learn but mig prices compared to a dc only tig are about 3 fold but ive mad a welder trolly and now the build table and done heaps of practice welds which although they dont all look perfect and pretty They are strong. I tried breaking them with a big hammer and the metal tore but the weld was intact so I feel confident enough to weld the chassis .
Things like the rear uprights ,diff brackets etc I will run a tig then get them stick welded if I feel I need to .

http://thailoz.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:48 pm 

Name:
i have all 3 mig tig and arc love the tig but it eats gas and can be slow but looks great one thing to look out for tig generates tonns of heat so watch out it dosent distort

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:39 pm 

Name:
If I remember right The timber I bought for the legs was in 14' lengths so that governed the height of my table as I cut them up. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Moderator

Quote:
If I remember right The timber I bought for the legs was in 14' lengths so that governed the height of my table as I cut them up. :oops:
Love it! I stuck with the table top height of 750mm, everything's all cut, drilled, and rivnut's done where needed, just got some brackets and captive nuts to weld on but got sidetracked with something else.