All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:45 pm 

Name:
Hi

Firstly i just wanna say thanks to the admins for activating my account in a mere few hours :)

Now onto my topic

I myself have never built a kit car before, nor have i ever welded anything, but am keen to learn for the right project.

Now when i say "the right project" i mean it has to be a labour of love, and be something a bit different, so when it comes to a custom made car why not go all out and dare to attempt a batmobile

But like i said i have no experiance in making cars...

So my plan is (if possible) to build the haynes roadster following the book, but making the chassis longer and wider.

It will still have the rear driving position, and ideally a 140" wheelbase and 90" track. (Yes thats huge)

So is it as simple as making certain bits of the frame longer? Then getting longer/extending standard:
Steering column
Track rods
Drive shaft

I understand it is a big project, but i see my biggest hurdle is making a suitable road legal running car to build a fibreglass body onto.

No this isnt a wind up, its a dream project i wouldnt be able to start just yet, but would want to know if its at least possible before i spent any money

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Your project certainly sounds a lot of fun but I fear will probably have a lot of challenges to overcome, that's not to say it cant be done with enough determination though :D

You could always compare the McSorley chassis plans against the original book to get ideas of where increases in size could be made but to extend it to the size your talking about would probably mean losing some of the strength of the original design meaning some strengthening/reinforcement would be required.

I wish you the best of luck with it.

Oh and have fun finding parking spaces for it when its done :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:48 pm 

Name:
Possible? Yes.
Sensible? Probably Not!
Interesting? Definitely!

I think the standard wheelbase and track on the Haynes are about 94" and 56".
So you'll need to add around 45" to both the length and width :shock:
I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that, but I think I'd start with a CAD model the Haynes and play about with that.
You'll probably need to source longer steering rack as well as the other stuff you've mentioned.

Daft question, but does it really need to be that big? It'd be a lot easier if you could scale it down by ~35% The Haynes dimensions would be about right then!

If you do go ahead make sure you keep us updated!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:15 pm 

Name:
Thanks for the replies

I could scale it down a bit, but not by as much ad 35%, it just wont look right.

What implications will i encounter? Surely sources longer bits from other cars cant be that hard?

Also i understand my windscreen must be glass, know anywhere that does custom glass?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:38 am 

Name:
This is half way there.

Bob :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-Phantom- ... 3cd1302376

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Maybe this actually got built lol, spotted by a Locost member going down the M1.

Who knows, maybe for IVA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachment:
File comment: bat1
Bat1.jpg
Bat1.jpg [ 54.28 KiB | Viewed 2695 times ]