All times are UTC

Post subject: Omega V6 Roadster
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 pm 

Name:
Hi there, I'm new to the scene and I have my eye on a scratch built Roadster but with a Vauxhall Omega V6 with auto box. I have decided on this particular route because I love Vauxhalls and the Omega engines are dirt cheap at the moment with donor vehicles going for a couple of hundred quid. This does leave me going down the auto box route, but to be honest I'm not too bothered. I have driven Vauxhall autos before and they are great fun, especially the sports button. I have already found the plans for the roadster and with the help of Solidworks I have modeled the chassis in 3d. I have changed a few bits, including the front section, as I didn't like the way it was angled and I haven't finished the rear or trans tunnel as these will be different from the MX5. I don't know weather to use the Omega Rear subframe or rebuild the suspension from scratch. It would be easier to use the existing system I think but any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Omega V6 Roadster
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm 

Name:
In my opinion, and I know many people will disagree, but big engines in these cars goes against the original idea of a very light-weight car.

If I had the money I would have fitted a vauxhall engine in mine, be it the c16leh ( corsa vxr) engine. 200bhp standard.

Automatic gearbox I think has been done a few times before, and would need a bigger transmission tunnel, but unless you are widening the whole car, this can bring problems of lack of room for your feet.

I hope you have taken into sonsideration the suspension geometry if you are changing angles on the front end!

At the end of the day, the beauty of these cars is they are built how you, the builder, want to. If you want a v6 auto then go for it. Will be good to see a progress thread :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:29 pm 

Name:
Thanks for the info, hadn't really thought about widening the chassis to accept the bigger trans tunnel, got carried away. Will do some more research on this and on the front suspension setup and design. Hopefully get my build table sorted asap and then I'm going to start my build thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:39 pm 

Name:
There is a manual gearbox that bolts to the back of the v6 vauxhal lump. It was researched on the haynes site but the search engine is broken.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEG ... 58924af92f

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 pm 

Name:
Quote:
There is a manual gearbox that bolts to the back of the v6 vauxhal lump. It was researched on the haynes site but the search engine is broken.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEG ... 58924af92f

Bob
Cheers Bob, after some more heavy research I have decided that the 3.0 V6 (X30XE) mated to the R25-R28 gearbox is the combo I want. This is still rwd and providing I can keep the weight down, will hopefully give me some bloody good power. Courtney Sport do a lot for tuning this lump and I hear 400hp isn't shy. I want to use as much of an Omega donor as possible, which will help with the IVA and as I'm new to building my own car will give me chance to build the thing and not get bored! I have found some information about using the front suspension albeit by modifying the macpherson struts but any links or info would be most helpful. Cheers :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Sounds like you have a plan :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 pm 

Name:
I am in the planning stages. would be interested in how you get on. I am going for the omega base, but the saab 2.3 hot engine will mate straight to the vauxhall gear box. 250bhp turbo as standard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:48 am 

Name:
I'm too in the planning stage, just doing loads and loads of research at the moment. I know the big engine in a little car isn't the Locost/Haynes ethos but I want loads of power in a little car. The Saab motor sounds pretty good, especially with the turbo, and the fact it bolts to the r28 gearbox is an added bonus. Going to keep an eye on your build..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:04 pm 

Name:
You will still need to use some Sierra bits, namely the front hubs/carriers because as far as I am aware, the steering rack on the Omega goes behind the engine which will give you a space issue in the roadster. On the Sierra the rack goes in front of the engine which keeps it out of the way of the trans tunnel in the roadster chassis.

I will be going a similar route but using the much lighter 4pot X20XEV mated to the Omega gearbox.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:26 pm 

Name:
Did this build get underway?

Bob