Name:
im after some advice on buying a mig welder for a novice
will be hopefully welding a chassis together
whats available that wont break my bank or rather the wifes bank :D

Post subject: Re: mig welder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:19 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
My advice would be to get the very best Mig you can possibly afford, cheap welders will have erratic feeds and low power and will be no help to a diy welder at all. Its probably better to get a good 2nd hand quality, branded machine than a cheap new no name one.

Steer clear of disposable gas bottles, they contain about as much gas as the average fart! The BOC Volkzone deal is one relatively good value gas supply option aimed at the diyer (involves a yearly rent), other rent free services are available but as well as comparing cylinder sizes remember that BOC fill to 230 bar pressure while other suppliers fill to a lot lower pressure meaning less gas.

The Mig Welding Forum is an excellent reference for welding with tutorials and guides as well, the question of which welder has been asked hundreds of times on there as well so should be lots of answers.

Not a welder but I have had a few good buys from Recontooling that sell nearly new/shop soiled Sealey products, Stuart is really helpful there but I'm sure there is other 'B' grade type outlets around that maybe worth a look also.

Good luck
Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:10 pm 

Name:
Check http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/ special offers shop soiled with a small scratch on the tig i bought, no scratch found but £50 off. V8 is correct buy the best you can afford as will hold value unlike cheap ones.

Good luck with the build.

Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:18 pm 

Name: richard
i use a sealy 195 big machine on wheels, takes all sizes of wire and drum sizes, bottle sits on the back, its a few years old now too. recently done a lot of welding witha. sealy 130 which was very good. personally i find the cheap SIP machines brutal and all the bits for them are specific where as the sealy ones use industry standard tips and shrouds.
gas as has been said before avoid disposable bottles, i have just changed from BOC after many years to hobby weld. boc has a yearly rental of £115 now, hobby weld is £30 to buy the bottle them £30 per refill, i have built a whole roadster chassis on less than a bottle , you want 5 or 15 % argon mix not pure co2.
also budget £50 for a welding mask, again avoid the bery cheap and buy adjustable shade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 am 
Site Moderator

Hizzi, Is that a business account? My understanding is the Volkzone rental is £38 + vat. What size bottle is hobby weld's? it might be useful to have a list of options in the tools section.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:43 pm 

the boc bottle was a half size, the hobby weld is smaller , i think they call it a X size , bit bigger than a pub bottle. the gas works out the same but the rental is way cheaper, boc is funny they supply the gas through agents who dont get paid to keep it or sell it, they make money on the delivery of the bottles or the welding consumables . i had an absolute nightmare getting rid of my boc account, i contacted them to say i wasnt renewing but they wanted a years renewal and refill price paid up front which would then be refunded when they traced the bottle back.
that was apersonal account to me not business

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Moderator

Reply from BOC re Volkzone pricing

Good Morning

Argoshield Light size Y is 26.50 gas price, surcharge 1.36p, rental £38.70 per year

Pureshield Argon size Y is 32.44 gas price, surcharge 1.36p, rental £55.90 per year

All prices exclude VAT

This offer is for personal accounts only, if you wish to go ahead
Attachment:
Argonshield.JPG
Argonshield.JPG [ 31.4 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 am 

Name:
so i got myself a welder
i bought a clarke mig180 but now need to get a sparky to install a 32amp supply to my garage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:04 pm 

it will run on a 16 amp supply no probs, remember the welder only has a 13amp plug, only time i had an issue was running on full power for a long period of time and that was welding 10mm plate and at that it blew the 13amp in the plug never the garage supply

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:53 pm 

Name:
this welder needs at least a 30 amp supply
ive checked
also it dont have a 13 amp plug fitted