All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:43 am 

Name: Geedle
Hi,

I've been looking out for my MX5 donor for a while now. From what I can work out the MK1, MK2 and MK2.5 will all work without too much difficulty.

So the JDM MK2 (and MK2.5?) 1.8 six speeds have a Torsen diff - I think. I'm not fussed about the 6 speed, but I do like the idea of a Torsen diff. They are hard to find in poor enough state to be donors though.

Any thoughts on whether it is worth hanging on for a Torsen model?

Geedle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 am 

Name: Gary
Hi right here goes, in no particular order, diff, what are you aiming the car at when done if it's road then a std diff is fine if it's track then yes see if you can pick one up, 6 speed box ends up with first so low you won't use it making your 6 spd a 5 spd anyway as well as adding weight
Now the rest the mk2.5 has some subtle differences in that if using the std ecu you have to use all the security electronic as well as the mk2.5 dash as the ecu runs through it all
Bonus on the mk2.5 is it is svt and higher stock power also the ecu it uses is different from the previous versions in that it is adaptive and can handle some changes before upgrading
I used the mk2.5 svt version and added an m45 supercharger/ inteecooler still on its std ecu any questions feel free to ask and have a read of my build thread
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:15 pm 

That is really useful information. Its going to be used almost always on road. I've been torn between Torsen and regular for a while, but that really answers my question.

I was never really a fan of 6 speed boxes, especially in something so light. Kind of makes sense in a diesel motorway plugger with narrow power band I guess.

In terms of the ECU, initially I think I will use the donor one, but my ultimate goal is to use a Speeduino (http://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino). I like the idea of having build the ECU and being able understand the software that runs it. But one thing at a time.

I'm toying with the idea of turbo charging it... Humm

Geedle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:38 pm 

Name: Gary
There are a couple of vids on you tube "Haynes roadster built now having fun " and listen to the supercharger :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 pm 

That is the inspiration I need to keep going!