All times are UTC

Post subject: 1" Extension?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
That got you looking didnt it? :lol: :lol:

First off at this stage I've only read with interest the various topics that have tried to cover the 1" extension.

While googling around I came across this:
Attachment:
front lower wishbone.jpg
front lower wishbone.jpg [ 125.3 KiB | Viewed 1424 times ]
From here:
http://www.oweneng.co.uk/gallerycar1.html

Would the added box section at the right length negate the need for a damper with the extension, giving more choice. Apologies if I've missed something obvious but as I say I've only noted other conversations about it.

He was on Haynes but only ever did 5 posts and doesn't seem to have been online since 25/9/09

Post subject: Not sure Bruce
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Moderator

Name:
I can't give you an expert opinion on that one.

From a personal point of view, if I were to adapt the chassis to accommodate a shorter shock, would probably work out a way of doing it at the upper mounting point of the chassis.
I suppose it could be done at the bottom though, dare say an extended shock mount made out of 5mm plate would be plenty strong enough.

Had a read of that blog.
I would question the wisdom of using Cortina uprights with wishbones designed for the Sierra upright. :? :?

Ronnie :D

Post subject: Re: Not sure Bruce
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 pm 

Name:
Had a read of that blog.
I would question the wisdom of using Cortina uprights with wishbones designed for the Sierra upright. :? :?[/quote]

I have a set of new cortina uprights here and the thing that stopped me using them was the huge amount of scrub radius they produced. The other thing to consider is the wishbones would need to be shortened or the front track would be about 3" wider than the back. I have them both on the bench so i will take a piccie.

Bob

Post subject: Re: 1" Extension?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 pm 
Site Moderator

Yeah ok I get that the cortina uprights may not be a good idea (I'm running scorpio anyway) :D In fairness given that he's shown no activity in just over 3 years he's probably either over on locost or abandoned the build, I suspect the latter as he was also trying to manufacture stuff so would have thought he would have kept a profile going.

But we digress, with regards to the dampers - Ronnie, is there a reason why you would make the extension at the top? I am very limited in terms of chassis design and suspension geometry so apologies for the dumbness :oops: :roll: :lol:

It just struck as fairly logical to add the extension in line with the compressive force as he seems to have done on the wishbone but wondered if I was missing something probably plainly obvious to the more educated :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 am 

Name:
I'd forgotten all about this company they started about the same time as I did but I don't think they ever promoted them selves that much. One reason it uses Cortina uprights is they are lighter than the Sierra lumps and has a Ford stud pattern, the chassis was not standard width it was a wide body being 4"-100mm wider.
As regards to adding 1" to the rear the simplest way would be to add box section under the damper bracket, how ever given the angle that the damper sits the forces acting on the bracket would be increased. The extra force acting on the 3mm plate granted not much would try and bend it so Ronnie is right I would either up CP3+4 to 5mm or at least add a spreader plate that was double the size of the damper bracket.
The coilovers with 1" extension was added after the book was published (showed up after some road testing not just bench testing) to add some 'droop' or angle to the wishbones, this helps start the movement of the suspension as it's already pre loaded. You can of course just use 14" coilovers instead of 13"s which means there's no need to buy shocks with 1" extension or even add the box and plate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:49 pm 
Site Moderator

Thanks Phil :D