All times are UTC

Post subject: Fuel Tank Filler Cap
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:33 pm 

Name:
Hello

I'm thinking that I might neglect to have an external fuel filler cap mounted on my rear panel and use a motorbike style fuel filler cap mounted directly on top of the tank.

More boot space as there is no filler hose in the way, but maybe a bit annoying to get to when the boot is full. Any thoughts and opinions gratefully received!

Josh

Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Filler Cap
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:58 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
If I'm reading correctly you cant use the same space as the filling point for 'luggage' (item 14 below)
Attachment:
Fuel Tank.jpg
Fuel Tank.jpg [ 323.62 KiB | Viewed 2298 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:58 pm 

Name:
Okay... I was thinking I would end up building a 'boot compartment' that sits on top of the diff cage and tank, with a hinged flap above the fuel filler cap.

If none of this was present at the IVA, would it pass? I believe the Haynes book car had an internal fuel filler cap mounted on the top surface of the tank?

Thanks
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Moderator

Name: Bruce
Yes the book car did. Keeping it simple for IVA and adding it later would probably be the safest option and should be fine. :D

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:32 am 

Name:
Having the filler cap on the rear panel is a nighmare.
The hose has to go through such a tight bend on mine that it makes getting fuel in a total pig. If I don't get the angle just right the pump either clicks off as soon as I press the trigger or the fuel pisses straight out onto my feet.
Even when I do get it right I can only hold the trigger in the slightest amount to stop it clicking off and it takes forever to fill up.

I'll be switching to a cap mounted directly to the top of the tank in the near future...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:02 pm 

Name:
Have been discusing this over on LocostBuilders too. I have now decided to mount an external filler cap on the top panel. I'm hoping to use my car for road/camping trips around the UK and Europe - this will mean a full boot and multiple fuel stops. A cap directly on top of the tank will be a right pain!

If I put the filler neck in the rear right corner of the tank then the filler hose will cause minimum obtrusion into the boot space too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 pm 

Name:
One last question - how have people done their tank vents? Will a one-way valve be enough to allow air to enter the tank as the fuel level lowers, or does it need to be two-way to allow for expansion of air on a hot day?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 pm 

Name:
Mines a length of 8mm cu central heating tube open vented from the top of the tank ,rising about 4" above the tank then looping down to floor level .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 am 

Name:
Quote:
One last question - how have people done their tank vents? Will a one-way valve be enough to allow air to enter the tank as the fuel level lowers, or does it need to be two-way to allow for expansion of air on a hot day?
I assumed that there was no need for a valve - just an open ended pipe shaped in such a way that fuel couldn't flow out when the tank was full?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:03 pm 

Name:
Mine passed without a valve, and it pisses fuel out of the breather if I manage to brim the tank!
All I have is a length of fuel hose attached to a breather outlet on top of the tank. The hose goes up a few inches, bends through 180 degrees, then goes back down and ends just below the bottom of the tank.