All times are UTC

Post subject: MX5 lower front wishbone
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:34 pm 

Name: Dave
Hi again guys.

Thess wishbones are driving me mad, lol.

Does anbody have either photos are a detailed plan of the above.

I am using the the saturn plans and am strugling to fully understand just how it all sits together with the lkwer ball joint in place.

So far you guys have been a great help, hopfully you can help me with this as well.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:10 pm 

Name: Gary
hi here is a picture of it attached to the hub, from memory , I bolted the lower mount through the 2 vertical pieces and then the flat one, made sure all lined up then tacked it, once I had this part made then I profiled the tubes (I rose jointed the inner ends) jigged and welded, if you need any more pics I can take tommorow
Attachment:
20140608_130352 - Copy.jpg
20140608_130352 - Copy.jpg [ 115.14 KiB | Viewed 1414 times ]
gary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:28 pm 

Gary

Thanks, so the horizontal plate is flat and centred on the tubes.

I apresiate your help, I should be able to work it out from there.

Thanks again

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:06 am 

Hi Dave also before you put the shock mount on, but after its fully welded (its easier) on the 2 vertical pieces , I "smoothed" out the rear corners top and bottom towards the tubes just so that was one less corner for mr iva to worry about. in the photo you can see they are not so rectangular as they are when cut.
yes make up the jig as per the drawings and pack the tubes , keep the tube seems to the flat plate too, read somewhere that this gives the strongest joint
good luck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:24 am 

Gary, once again thanks.

One more question, what thickness material are you using for the plates, I was advised to use 5mm but yours appears to be thiner than that.

Again, thanks for your assistance, BTW you car is looking great.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:52 am 

Hi Dave , don't worry ask as many questions as you need to, and thanks for the comment re my car :) I seem to be doing heeps of small jobs at the moment....
Yes mine are 5mm but they probably appear thinner as once welded up I took all the corners off makes them look neater, imo,
I got craig at plazcutz (check out on the bay 271516974089 ) to chop out the pieces for me, no connection , just was pure laziness :)
gary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:35 pm 

Thats great. We have made every part ourselves, I cant believe the amount of mess grinding and cutting makes.

Which engine you using? Is it standard or are you going to play with it.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:38 pm 

yeah it really makes a mess when you start chopping up the steel :)
now hee hee the engine choice ................................... well I started with an mx5 mk2.5 1.8 , so circa 146 bhp and for a wee bit of fun.... I have an eaton m45 supercharger, intercooler and reduced pulley fitted, if you look back my build thread you will see it needed some creative thinking and redesigning. It is a common mx5 upgrade but on the car there is room to put things, for us the cold side was out due to the steering column, so hot side it is , take off exhaust manifold and made up a mounting plate to put the supercharger on lining the pulley up with the front crank pulley, then made up a tensioner to go where the pas pump was, then the inlet pipework this was taken over the engine mount up the firewall to the bypass take off and second T/B the pipework the over behind the engine to put the maf and airfilter on the cold side of the firewall. verger outlet was routed up to a vw Passat intercooler with the air temp sensor on the outlet feeding into the normal T/B, now the exhaust, I found a picture of a Miata turbo manifold and cut and remodelled the manifold ( really only kept the mounting plate) from 2" pipe into a 21/2" collector into a freeflow cat into a 2 1/2" system, then stripped the wiring harness back to reroute some of the engine wiring, and it runs there is a video on you tube of it running :)
have now added a boost gauge so should be able to see what psi im making and am installing a wideband o2 to set up the fueling.
My mate came round today with my rear wheels as he had them to put a pair of 225's on :) finished the brake flexis and need to fill and bleed now (I have tomorrow off so hopefully I can try and get that done)
Regards Gary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:01 pm 

OMG, that sounds awesome.

Its a shame you dont live closer......

Dave